Top 5 reasons I love diving in So Cal:
5) The water is so cold, you don’t need coffee to wake up in the morning
4) Divers always say, “if you can dive in California, you can dive anywhere” (i’m assuming they’re excluding like, the north pole?)
3) The chance to see Black Sea Bass, Molas, Leopard Sharks, Great White Sharks (still waiting on this one…..) , Sea Lions, Seals.
2) Kelp. Getting all tangled up in it. That divers dive with knives (fashioned to their thighs….hot) to cut their way out. The light shining in at an angle through the forest.
1) The fact that I get to dive here every weekend, because I have the best job in the world, as a PADI OW Scuba Instructor for Deep Blue Scuba!
cat’s out of the bag (and her name is Tiburon!) I’ve moved back to So Cal and am teaching scuba at Deep Blue. Stop in to say hi, or chat dive.
PS List bonus: Garibaldis. Cali’s state fish. Garibaldis are awesome. When I was a kid, I went to catalina and rode the glass bottom boat. They gave me a pin that said “I met Gary Baldy” with a cartoon Garibaldi wearing a bowler hat.
Anyway, just the other day a very territorial baldi bonked my head on a dive. I totally missed that when i was gone.